Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Temple Trip

We went to Denver this weekend to attend the temple wedding of a friend. It was really nice to be there and share that special moment with her and her family. It got me thinking about how she and her new husband are just starting out on their journey together, and how Robert and I will be celebrating our 12th anniversary in May. I know 12 years isn't a really long time, in an eternal way, but it seems long enough now to feel like we've really accomplished something. I wonder how many marriages last this long? I can appreciate the effort and commitment from those that have been married 25, 40, 50+ years. Pres. Ezra T. Benson once wrote a article about blessings we receive from temple attendance. He said, "You will love your family with a deeper love than you have loved before. You will receive the spirit of Elijah, which will turn your heart to your spouse, to your children, and to your forebears, and your heart will be turned to your fathers, and theirs to you." I was also able to do an endowment session for an ancestor. That was the first time I've taken a family name to the temple. So much genealogy has been done on both sides of my family that a lot of the temple work has been done. Her name was Mrs. Elisabeth Ayres, from England. That sounded like a character from a Jane Austen novel.
Last night for FHE I did a lesson on temples. I had lots of pictures of different temples and the rooms inside. The boys, especially Adam, were very interested. Adam is getting to the age when he can comprehend more and therefore has more questions. It was one of those lessons where I felt like we taught a lot and they learned a lot.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

That's great! Congrats on 12 years. Sounds like a fun FHE lesson too.