Sunday, June 14, 2009
Girls' Camp
Where to begin? Sometimes I feel like my blog has become one, big run-on sentence from my planner--"and then we did this, and then this, and then this, blah-blah-blah". Most of the time I don't have anything intelligent or witty to say, just what's happening. So, here we go again. I left for Girl's Camp on Wednesday--got up to Scott Lake at 1pm. There was a bit of a drizzle throughout the afternoon, enough to wear my rain poncho. We got things started--some games, walks, certification, tinfoil dinners, smores, and then the DOWNPOUR began. It was raining so hard and so fast that everything began to flood. Within a couple of hours, we had about 5 inches of rain everywhere, including inside the tents. So, we decided to get the girls up to the church bldg. in Scott City (about 15 minutes away). We got everyone there by about 9:30pm. Then the second round of loading up everyones' sleeping bags began. We got those to the church, basically put them all in the "wet" pile to take the the laundromat. And then the third round of finding and bringing everyones' buckets (we tell the girls to pack all their stuff in a 5-gallon bucket so it will stay dry in case it rains). Everyone got the buckets by midnight, except for me. Mine was MIA. Oh, well--earlier when we were decided to go to the church, I had the feeling to grab my contact stuff, wallet and phone. It wasn't really that big of a deal because someone lent me a pair of shorts and another gave me some socks. The YW did great, playing games, eating popcorn and hot cocoa, while us leaders washed and dried stuff and decided what to do about camp. All the sleeping bags were dry by about 1am (it cost $50 to dry everything). So, we got to sleep in the church (a first for me)--the girls in the gym and the leaders in the RS and YW rooms. We knew the forecast included thunderstorms everyday and knew the ground wouldn't dry out enough, so we had to end camp early. Thursday we spent the day doing the rest of the certification, service project (cleaning the church after we dirtied it up), skits, and testimony mtg. I was pretty impressed that even though we were only at camp for 32 hours, we were able to complete everything, minus the hike, and the YW really bonded and felt the Spirit and enjoyed themselves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am going to girls camp this year. (my first time ever) I am torn between looking forward to it and dreading it! Ariel had an unpleasant first year experience last year so decided I would go. I am NOT a camper so other than being wet 30 some hours sounds pretty good.
Crazy girl's camp story!! It has been raining a ton here but nothing like that, thankfully!! We're excited to see you guys in a couple of weeks!
Wow! That's one for the books! I'd say going through that would bond the girls. I'm glad you had fun inspite of the rain and I extra glad you kept your contact stuff, wallet, and cell.
This will be a camp that the young women will always remember -- "the year it rained." I think they will also remember how the leaders handled the problems so well -- you all were great examples of how to adapt when circumstances change. Good job, Heidi!
Post a Comment