Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Making Money....and Burning It


This past Friday and Saturday we had a garage sale. It's an annual thing for us. I just can't stand the clutter and holding onto things that we're not using. Blame it on my Army childhood. We made $600! We even sold our broken down, 18 year old car. There were people lined up outside waiting to talk with Robert about the car. It didn't deter them with they found out it didn't run. Saturday morning Adam sold doughnuts and lemonade. After the sale, he stayed outside on the driveway to sell more lemonade. Doesn't he look cute in this picture? In two hours, he made $15. A lot of nice people stopped, bought lemonade and then tipped him. He was very excited.
In other news, the boys and I got into a car accident (my first) yesterday afternoon. We were coming home from the pool when we got sideswiped. We are okay but the van has a big dent in it. Luckily no one was hurt. Adam was quite unnerved and upset. You know, he's our little worrywart. A few cars stopped to make sure we were okay. Then a friend drove by. He used to be a police officer so he made sure we had called the police. After he drove away though, I wished he was still an officer because he would know what to do and he would make sure we were fine. It was a bit humiliating standing out there, talking to the police, in my swimsuit. Robert has taken the van and is having it checked out right now. Hopefully, it won't be anything too major or costly and that we can still drive it until the repairs can be done. A month ago we had two, working cars, and now we're down to zero. Goodness--when it rains, it pours. It's tough, sometimes, because we try really hard to live frugally, but then stuff happens and it feels like we just can't get ahead.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I know the feeling (of seeming like you just can get ahead). Don't worry, stuff will work out.
I'm sorry about your car.
That's good about the garage sale though.

Susan said...

Glad you're all OK. Even when you're not hurt, being in an accident is a traumatic experience. What a successful garage sale -- kudos to Adam for his successful lemonade stand!

Angela said...

I am so glad that you guys are all ok. I sure do know the try to live frugally thing and then have things all break at once. I hope that the repairs are minor and that you get some transportation soon!