Friday, January 8, 2010

I'm Too Tired...

That's become my new mantra as of late. My energy level is so much lower than I'm used to. I'm not good at sitting around--I like to be up doing something. In some ways, this pregnancy is easier than the other two. With Adam I was working full-time and worked until the day he was born. With Matt I had a 2 year-old to take care of. This time I can, typically, sit down or rest when I need to. However, I think my age is definitely playing a factor in this one. I just feel much more worn out...and I still have four months to go. I don't remember feeling like this before until I was much closer to my due date. For the past two weeks or so I've had a rash. It's terribly itchy and red and just looks disgusting. And it's everywhere. My doctor saw me on Monday and told me I'm allergic to my clothes. What am I supposed to do about that? I'm following her instructions to get rid of it but it's not helping. Last night I looked through some medical books/info. Personally, I'm not sure it's an allergic reaction. I think it's eczema. The description, symptoms, and photos of it are exactly what I have experienced. Has anyone else had eczema? What did you do to clear it up? And how did you deal with the itching, especially at night?

9 comments:

Kaysi said...

Kanyon has/had it. It always flares up in the winter with the cold and dry. We had to put a ton of lotion on him after every bath and then we put on a special cream... aqua something. If I find I'll tell you the exact name (it comes in a tub at Walmart). Saran (??) lotion is supposed to help with itching also. I'm so sorry, that just sounds miserable!

Andrea said...

Have you heard of PUPPPS, it's Pruritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy, it's the most common pregnancy rash. My friend has had it with all of her pregnancies and she said it itches like crazy. Her doc prescribed a steroid cream.
I hope it gets better. I have had excema on my hands and my doc prescribed a steroid cream. It cleared it up. It was caused by washing my hands too much. Could it be your soap or detergent?

Andrea said...

I had a rash all over my abdomen and it went clear up to my chest. It didn't itch, but it was caused by a virus and it cleared up on it's own. It's called roseola.
It got me thinking I was allergic to my clothes, that's what made me think of it.

Kenningtons said...

Soooo, I don't have first hand experience with eczema but my sister's friends has it really bad with her pregnancy and the doctor told her to bathe less often... Not really helpful information but that's all I've got. Hope you start feeling better soon! OH, I just remembered, we bought some special eczema lotion for KG (and can only bathe her every other day) that is a dream come true. The brand is Gentle Naturals..can be found at Wal-Mart with the other baby lotions and stuff. And we sometimes have to put hydrocortisone cream on the really bad spots.

Bit of Honey Training LLC said...

Oh, Heidi, I can so relate. I am allergic to just about everything. I do ok with "Arm&Hammer clean burst" clothes detergent, or "Tide non-scented detergent". Hand soap must be "Dove sensitive skin", lotion must be "unscented Aveeno baby" and then Aquaphor on top. Aquaphor is pretty much like axle grease. My shampoo must be "Head&Shoulders sensitive skin", which is then washed out with "Desert Essence Organics raspberry or grape" shampoo and conditioner. Any gloves I wear (like for doing dishes with the soap I'm allergic to) have to be powder free and non-latex. I also have a prescription steroid creme to use when I need it. If I use anything other than these products I get eczema on my hands, ears, elbows, and my hair starts to fall out as my body reacts to the allergens in the products. Maybe some of these things will help - hopefully yours is just limited to this pregnancy!

Heather Montgomery said...

I have heard Aquaphor works wonders. Also, I had a coworker with PUPPS it looked like little red pimples all over her body. Have you tried an oatmeal bath? Sorry you are itching so bad. When I was late into pregnancy and needing to sleep my Dr said I could take Benydrel, so mabye you could try that

Unknown said...

I had eczema with my pregnancy and I'm normally allergic to everything.

Tide Free detergent was my best friend. They have a Bounce Free dryer sheet that works, too.

My brother has an whole food supplement called Allerplex that you can take while you're pregnant, too.

I took oatmeal baths. Rubbed olive oil or vitamin e oil into my skin. The best thing was the extra emollient night cream from Mary Kay for the really bad spots.

Another friend swears by Udder Cream, but it's not the cream in the black and white tube. It's the yellow looking stuff in the green tin.
Good Luck!

Susan said...

A lot of people care about you, Heidi. Hopefully, you'll find the right remedy and get some relief.

Hardy Party said...

I had the rash PUPPs as well. It is horribly itchy and it spread the more i scratched!! And it does look aweful!! I was given a steriod pack to help with the itching and then took benadryl and sprayed anti-itch medicine on it. Just try not to itch cause it just will keep spreading.
I kid you not it was about 10 minutes after she was born and the rash disappeared!!
It is almost like you are having an allergic reaction to the baby!:)