Friday, March 18, 2011

First Full Week

Gavin has now been weaned for a full week now.  This wasn't intentional.  In fact, I've always nursed for at least a year.  But Gavin and I have really struggled with nursing for a few months now.  It started over Christmas break.  He was cutting teeth #5 and #6.  His teeth were so sharp they kept cutting my skin (but only my left side).  Cutting it so much that it would bleed.  And the pain was excruciating.  So, I went to pumping my left side.  But this had it's own difficulties, like finding an outlet if I wasn't at home, having to leave church in order to pump, etc.  I would pump for a few days while the skin healed.  Then I could nurse again for another week.  And then I would have to pump for another week.  This went back and forth for two months.  I finally had it when it took 10 days for my skin to heal and then only one day for it to be cut again.  I realized this was not working out.  And sadly decided it was time to wean Gavin.  This has been a whole new experience for me.  I had never bought formula before--had no idea how much to feed him or even how to make a bottle.  I know that's pretty pathetic to admit, but I had never prepared a bottle before.  I didn't even own a bottle.  Luckily, Gavin has been agreeable about taking a bottle and switching over to formula.  I'm not use to being "free" from Gavin--being able to run errands and not having to think about nursing.  Or yesterday, it finally dawned on me that I can eat certain foods now that I'm not nursing.  I'm still the one that feeds Gavin (gives him a bottle).  I still like to cuddle him and don't really want to give that up yet to anyone.  Robert has fed him a couple of times but I usually am not willing to share that responsibility.           

4 comments:

Kenningtons said...

Ouch!!!! Too bad about all the difficulties. That is really impressive that you gave it such an effort. Cheers to you Heidi!! Maybe it's a good thing for me Diddy only has three teeth....

Susan said...

All I can say, Heidi, is that you certainly are a good mom!

Alexis said...

Good for you, Heidi. You worked so hard with him and then you were also able to recognize and change your course when it was time. You are a good mother. I would have had a hard time giving up the feeding time, too. It really was the only time I got to cuddle my babies.

Anonymous said...

AY, ay, ay Heidico, Que dolor habras sentido. No sabiamos que ese raton de Gavin te mordia tan fuerte. Siquiera lo trataste hasta lo ultimo. Pues que vamos hacer, Dios lo sabe todo,por eso invento la mamadera para las guaguas como una emergencia. Eres una santa madre con heridas y todo, Ja, Ja,
Besitos, Moker y Papi