Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Note from an Imperfect Mom--

So this summer I've had some experiences that have made me feel like a cra*py mom.  I think for the most part the people did not intentionally want to hurt my feelings but I do question some others' intentions.  I just don't understand why some people think they've got all the answers and have everything figured out.  That's such baloney!  And when they have a superior attitude it does no good.  It just makes others feel judged.  Parenting is hard work.  Most of the time I feel completely ineffective.  And the longer I'm a parent the harder it seems to get. 

I recently bought a book by M. Russell Ballard called 'Daughters of God'.  Interesting enough he has five daughters, 24 granddaughters and 9 great-granddaughters.  So I would say his on-the-job training has made him a bit of a expert on women.  I found a quote in the book I really like.  I think it's great for those of us moms who are trying to figure out how to be the best mom we can for our children, and also for those moms who think they've already figured it out.  He says,
"There is no one perfect way to be a good mother.  Each situation is unique.  Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children.  What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."

3 comments:

Susan said...

You are a great mother, Heidi!!! Don't ever think you're not. I am amazed at how you handle three very active boys and keep your home so nice. I know you do your best every day. I would say, "Don't listen to negative comments." But, it's not that easy, I know. Your boys think the world of you, and that is what counts.

Bit of Honey Training LLC said...

I should tell you more often how impressed I am by you and the job you do as mom. You're doing an amazing job raising those guys, and each time we get together in person (maybe this is shallow but I always think it) I wonder how a person can look as good as you do after having 3 kids. You're one of the moms who deserves a superhero cape. Kim

Unknown said...

I think that you are an incredible MOM! I have thought that over and over again. That first year at YW Camp when you talked about some of your tricks to limit screen time, I thought to myself - I HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT! AND you spoke at Stake Conference AND organized a Leadership Meeting for the first time. I think you do awesome.

PS My Hubby and I looked at each other and said, "We need to get B to the temple more ofter," because of your talk! What a great sphere of influence!

Someone told me last week that I was cheating because I was doing my brother's diet, so my weight loss didn't count. Losing weight is losing weight whether I run 15 miles a week or not. Being an awesome Mom is being an awesome Mom whether or not I decided my child can watch an extra hour of tv in the week!

Somedays I think we all forget that no matter how we get there in the end, most of us are trying our very hardest to do our very best every day. In the end, that's all we can do.

I love that quote. Thanks for sharing.