Sunday, March 1, 2009

All about Adam

This post is all about my sweet Adam. On Monday, his class went on a field trip to the airport. Matt and I went along to help chaperone. It was great fun. It's a tiny airport, so the kids got to do and see much more than if it had been a big airport. They checked out the security stuff (xray machine and metal detectors) and then went up into the air traffic control tower. They got to see two airplanes take off and two land. They got to climb in and around the new firetruck and run up and down the tarmac.
On Wednesday, Adam and I drove down to Liberal for another appt. with his OCD psychiatrist. He's doing really well. It was a great 3 hours together because Adam just talked the entire time. Adam and I have a unique bond in that I'm quite sensitive to what he's thinking and feeling. He senses it, too, and I think he tends to open up more because of it. I'm really grateful he feels comfortable and safe enough to share his feelings with me.
On Thursday we went to his parent-teacher conference. Since I help his class every Wednesday, I'm quite aware of how he's doing at school. It was nice, though, to see how he's testing. He had the highest scores in his class on everything. I knew he and another boy were the most advanced but I was a bit surprised that Adam had higher scores in every category. I thought it would have been a bit more divided between the two. His scores were very high, two or three times the average kindergartener. I once had someone ask me what I did to make Adam so smart. I do what most everyone else does--read (a lot), play, ask questions, etc. It's mainly Adam, though. He makes himself smart. He CONSTANTLY asks questions--nonstop. Sometimes it's exhilirating, and sometimes it's exhausting. I can tell Adam is getting more mature. He seems to be able to calm himself down better and to have more self-control. He's starting to be able to reason more and to be reasoned with. He's a great little boy, and he has all of my heart.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Aw! What a great little guy! I'm glad he's doing so well in school! Smart boy!

Mom (W) said...

It is always the best of days when as a mother, you get such precious moments/memories together. Besure and remember this one and share with Adam at sometime many years from now!