Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fall Post

Well, we're in the thick of Autumn. There are lots of nice things about Fall--pretty leaves, crisp apples, Halloween. But to be honest, the first thing I think of about Fall is simply it means we're getting closer to winter and cold weather. And I can't stand winter. However, I'm trying to keep a positive spirit about the season. So, I'm focusing on the good things. We've got one week 'til Halloween. The boys are getting excited. I've carried on a Halloween tradition from my childhood. Every night during the last week before Halloween, my mom would come into our rooms after we had gone to bed but before we had fallen asleep. She would have a lit candle and would say in a spooky voice how many days 'til Halloween. Adam and Matt love this. Tonight is the first night of the countdown. I haven't reminded them about it, so they'll be surprised this evening. Here's a photo of the scary face I made for our front door. The boys think it's really cool because it's scary. The pumpkins are the ones we grew in our garden. The other two photos are of the boys helping with yardwork this morning.





3 comments:

Holly said...

That scary face is amazing. I don't remember the Halloween tradition mom had but thanks for sharing it. Maybe that is why I am afraid of the dark.

By the way K-State beat Colorado today.

Susan said...

The candle was shaped like a pumpkin, and I used it from year to year. I would put it up high on the wardrobe and then say, in a child-friendly but spooky voice, "Halloween is coming. Ooooooooooooooooo," etc., etc.

Chanda Starr said...

In my post I was talking about Susan Mose. I am not sure if you guys had heard that Ian died in August. If you want to know more feel free to e-mail me
onemom2rulethemall@yahoo.com