Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas Packages

I've been a bit of a humbug this holiday season. At least that's what Robert says. I think it's because I don't want to put up all four Christmas trees like we did last year. I'm still tired from last Christmas. We haven't put up any trees or any decorations yet. I think I only want them up for a couple of weeks because I'm the one having to decorate everything and having to keep the kids from touching the decorations. I'm a tree-nazi. I love a beautiful tree. And when I decorate a tree I put each ornament in the perfect spot and I do not want it moved...EVER. So, it's very trying on my patience to not get upset when the boys want to look and touch the ornaments. Anyhow, back to being a humbug. I think I'm finally losing that feeling. I went Christmas shopping this morning while the boys were in school. It was fun--picking out some things that I know they'll really enjoy. I'm also starting to put together Christmas packages to mail out. To me, Christmas packages are my most favorite part of the holidays. I think it's because they were such a big part of our Christmases growing up all over the world. We never lived by our relatives, and quite often, were an ocean away. So, we always received lots of packages. It was always very exciting to see what goodies were inside. This is when we got to eat M&Ms. My grandma always included them in her packages. Since my dad is a dentist we RARELY got to eat M&Ms. Also, my mom would always put together such beautiful packages to send out. I remember seeing her assemble them on the dining table, usually 6 or 7. She still does great packages, and when I put a package together I try to think how she would do it and what she may include and how to make it fun and exciting. I'm still not sure when our Christmas tree will go up, perhaps this weekend. However, the Christmas packages are getting assembled and sent out soon.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are so on the ball! Getting packages out are always my LEAST favorite thing to do and I always procrastinate it until it's almost too late!

Holly said...

Do you have my address?

Annie said...

Speaking of Holiday mail.....

I need your address - please email it to me.

annehowe24@gmail.com

Thanks!

Owen said...

Careful about being a tree-nazi. I hate decorating Christmas trees because it was always so much work and everything had to be in the perfect spot. Make sure the boys get to enjoy it too, or else they may end up hating it like me. Maybe the top 1/2 or 2/3 could be perfect, and the bottom portion could be decorated by the boys - just an idea.

Alexis said...

Heidi, I'm SO like you about the tree- and the fact that I have the ornaments from childhood doesn't help. Angels go at the top, the nativity ornaments go front and center. Even the handmade ornament from my brother when he was 6 goes in the same place- at the bottom, toward the back. Derek is like Owen. He sees decorating as a chore and he's sure he's not going to do it right. (That's why I knew it was a labor of love when he put our tree last year when I was on bedrest and couldn't lift a finger to help.)

Wish I could see your trees- 4 of them! Whew! I only do one.