Sunday, March 14, 2010

New Callings

Today we had Stake Conference. Rob and I received new callings. Robert was put on the High Council and we were both called to be "special advisors" to the Spanish branch here in Garden City. "Special advisors", as explained by the stake presidency, means we'll be helping to train the members to run the auxiliaries properly. We've been told that we're not to serve as a president of any auxiliary(thank goodness), and that we're to have this calling for one year. Currently very little functions correctly in the branch. There is no functioning youth program, primary, elders quorum. There are only three priesthood holders, no counselors to the branch president. Basically the six missionaries assigned to the branch tend to help run things. The stake presidency spoke with us last Sunday so I've had all week to think about this. We've been in a spanish branch before in Emporia, Kansas, however, in comparison, that one was much better attended and manned than the one here. My main concern is being isolated. Serving in Primary is isolating, but this is even more so. The old adage, "out of sight, out of mind" is true. When we went from the English ward to the Spanish branch, we didn't get to see/interact with the ward members much anymore, so I often felt like I was "off the radar screen". It wasn't an intentional thing; it was just how it was. I was pregnant then (with Matthew), like I am now. I've told Robert I'm having low expectations, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. Adam and Matt will still attend Primary in the ward. We haven't yet figured out how we're going to work the schedule because five hours of church for the boys does not seem realistic. Adam has already voiced his concern and feelings about that one. So, as I often say, "here goes nothing". We'll see how it turns out.

4 comments:

Kaysi said...

I'm sad to see you go, you'll be missed in primary! And you won't be out of mind, I'll make sure of it. Let me know if you need help with the boys, I could watch them for you if you need it. Good luck!

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

That author was me (too preachy). Anyway, sounds like you both are really needed (and always will be). And, sounds like a calling for Adam and Matt, too. We'll remember you in our prayers. Take care of yourselves. We love you.

Angela said...

Wow! What a calling to have right before you have you new little one. I wish I lived closer so that I could come help. You guys are going to be great at this calling!!! The boys room looks great and I can't wait to see what you come up with for the nursery!