Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Name Game

We're stumped on what to name this baby. Right now we've got a list of 10 first and 10 middle names to choose from. And no clear favorite. I seem to change my mind every few days. We're not ones to choose a name before the baby is born. We like to see the baby to make sure the name seems to suit him. However, with both Adam and Matthew, we had a couple of names that were front-runners. We just needed them to be born in order to see which name they looked like. My other dilemma is wondering how long I'll like a name. There are three male names I've liked since I was a child--Adam, Matthew, and Andrew. Obviously we've used the first two names. As for Andrew--Robert doesn't like it. Or, he doesn't like the nickname Andy. So, I have to scratch that off my list. As for the names on our Top 10 list, I like them now, but will I like them in five years? Obviously I seem to like the more traditional, classic names. So, whichever name we end up choosing, will probably still be in favor in 20-30 years. However, will I still like it? I guess we'll just have to wait a little bit longer to when he's born and see what he looks like to us.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

I think if you name him with what he looks like, then you'll always be happy with it. Good way to go.

Holly said...

What about Peter James John Kennington?

Owen said...

or John Jacob Jingle Hammerschmidt? Or you could name him Andrew and call him Drew. Or Owen, holly, and i could compile a list like we did for Derek and Alexis when they were expecting.

Unknown said...

I was going to say that every Andrew I've ever known went by Drew....Just saying. We could only agree on one little boy's name. We had five little girls' names.

After naming Bretton, it took me awhile to warm up to it. Originally I agreed as long as I could call him Brett, but after he was born it was obvious he wasn't going to be a nickname kid. Some just aren't....I was never a nickname kid.

Good Luck! You'll choose great!

Angela said...

leave it to Holly to think of a humdinger of a name. You need to choose a name that rolls off the tounge when you have to call all of them for dinner or when they are all in trouble. Adam, Matthew........ It sounds like us trying to choose Miss Olivia's name. I didn't think we were ever going to get one that we both agreed on!

Holly said...

I can hear it now. "ADAM, MATHHEW, and Peter (said with an English accent)time for dinner"

Alexis said...

I was going to say same thing about Drew as a short version of Andrew.

Also, did you know that John & Toria renamed their last child after he was a few days old? I think the first name was Bryce (?) but his name now is Canyon... (Maybe I said "bryce" because it just flows with "canyon".)

Owen said...

How about "Noxzema"? Now that's a unique name!