Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Kansas in the Spring
















Last night we had our first big hailstorm of the season. The hail came down for about 30 minutes and as the pictures show, there was alot. There aren't too many places that have such powerful storms as out here on the Plains. You really haven't experienced Kansas until you've lived here during May and June, when we get huge storms and lots of tornados. So, to all my new friends that moved here this winter--Welcome to Kansas. Last Fall, the Discovery Channel (I think) had a show called "Storm Chasers". It was about storm chasers here in western Kansas and all the storms they chased getting footage of tornados, including the Greensburg tornado last May, that obliterated the town. Greensburg is about 70 miles east of here. It was really interesting watching the show and all the storms they filmed. A bit scary, too, thinking, "that's where we live".

3 comments:

Sharee said...

Holy Mac! That's the biggest piece of hail I have ever seen around here...yikes...did ya'll have any damage?

Andrea said...

That is some crazy hail. So I'm reading this blog entry and while I'm in the middle of it, it starts to rain, hail, and thunder and lightning! Ha! ha! Well, tiny hail, but still noisy. That's northern Nevada for ya. Ok now it's stopped. We'll probably get spurts through out the morning.

Alexis said...

Wow- is that hail the size of a golf ball? How did your cars hold up?