Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Weekend Trip




We went up to Kansas City and Leavenworth for a few days over the weekend. We hadn't gone anywhere since New Years. Since we're so isolated here, it's kind of like living on an island. Instead of being surrounded by water, we're surrounded by amber waves of grain. It's such an ordeal to go anywhere from here, because of distance, time, cost, etc. So, it's was really nice to get away. As the photos show, we went to Lawrence (home of KU) to see the national championship trophy. We told the boys we were going to Mecca to do our pilgrimage, and that we would have to walk around Allen Fieldhouse seven times. They believed us. The entire weekend they were calling Lawrence--"Mecca".
We also did some (alot) shopping. We bought a new dining set----finally! We got a solid birch table with six chairs. The table is what I love about the set. It's a square with a drop leaf on each side. So, the leaves on opposite sides can be raised to make it oval, or all of the leaves can be raised and it makes a circle. I've always wanted a round table. I'm so glad to be done with our "Kmart" table. We got it five years ago, in a roundabout way. We moved into a new apt. right before Adam was born. As a special, the apt. complex gave us a DVD/VCR combo. We already had one, so they said we could take it back. So, we did and we got a dining set instead. However, since we got it for a "Kmart" price, we got "Kmart" quality. Two of the four chairs are broken and the finish on the tabletop is pretty destroyed. We also bought a new coffeetable. It's round, too, with wood inlay on top. It was initially priced at $300 but the people who bought it never picked it up, so it went to clearance, and we got it for $60. I love a bargain!
Lately I've been thinking the world is going to end on January 1st. I know that's dramatic statement, but I've just felt I have to get all of my food and other storage all ready by the end of the year. I feel that's all the time I have and if it's not done by then, I'm doomed. So, while in Leavenworth, I made a trip to ALDI--the best discount grocery store. It's discount because they don't have any displays and they only carry the top 1200 selling products. I spent about $230 on canned goods, flour, sugar, boxed goods, etc. Now it's sitting in my laundry room while I try to figure out where to put it. However, even though it's a lot of food, if that's all we had to eat, it would be gone in 2-3 months. I think I'm getting a little obsessive about it (now you can see where Adam gets his OCD). Today I was at Walgreens and they had raisins on clearance--so I bought 18 boxes.
So, I think that sums up our weekend. Oh, the boys were very cute on Mother's Day. They gave me a notebook and a sign for the dishwasher that says "dirty/clean", and they made cards with LOTS of stickers. We did see a good movie--"what happens in vegas"--very funny.

No comments: