Thursday, March 27, 2008

Weekly Recipe--Heidi's Cinnamon Rolls

I'm going to start posting a recipe every week. I always enjoy finding new recipes, and I think swapping them is great. A few years ago I had a New Year's resolution to try one new recipe per week. It was fun and I found lots of good ones. I ended up usually using 2 or 3 new ones a week. So, here's my latest find. I've been looking for years, at least 12, for a great cinnamon roll recipe. I've finally found it. So, I'm calling it 'HEIDI'S CINNAMON ROLLS'.

2 pkg. active yeast, or 4 1/2 tsp. active yeast
1/2 c. warm water (110-115 degrees)
8 c. all-purpose flour
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding mix
2 c. warm milk (110-115 degrees)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. canola oil--vegetable, corn, etc
2 tsp. salt

Filling:
1 c. packed brown sugar
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 c. raisins--optional
1 c. chopped walnuts--optional

Glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp. milk
1/4 tsp. ALMOND extract

Dissolve the yeast in the water. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to proof it. Add the next 7 ingredients; mix well, but DO NOT KNEAD. The dough will be a bit sticky. Place in a greased bowl, turn over to grease the other side. Cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour.
Punch down. Put on a floured surface and cut in half. Roll each half into a rectangle, about 12x8--a little bigger is fine, too. Brush with butter. Combine the filling ingredients. Spread half of the filling on each rectangle. Roll up the long side and seal the seam. Slice each roll into 12 rolls. Place into 2 greased 13x9 pans. Cover and let rise until double, about 45-60 minutes.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Combine the glaze ingredients. Drizzle on top once the rolls have cool a bit. ENJOY!! They taste the best for the first couple of days. If you have any left after a few days, since there are 24 of them, just heat them in the microwave for a few seconds and they taste great.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I had a great cinnamon roll recipe from a sister in my home ward growing up who was a caterer. I lost it! I'll have to try this one! Thanks! I find any recipe where you put vanilla pudding mix in is really good!

Kenningtons said...

Thanks for the recipe!! I was sold on it when you wrote in big type DO NOT KNEAD! Congrats on the weight loss and good luck in the half marathon (not that you need luck because you are a speed walking machine!).

Sharee said...

Yummy! Looks like you got the sitemeter figured out...it's nice to have!