Saturday, June 14, 2008

Girls' Camp

Here's Scott Lake. Isn't it pretty?

This is my tent.

These are some Indian ruins--from the Pueblo Indians.


Having fun--doing skits.



Playing games--building teamwork.




Is she not having the best time? She loves it!





Playing more games.



I went to YW Camp this week. We had it nearby (50 miles away) at Scott Lake Park. In western Kansas, anything less than 100 miles is nearby. I've been to camp five times and this by far, was the best one. The camp director was determined and very prayerful about uniting the YW. Our stake is really big, land wise. It takes in western Kansas, eastern Colorado and the panhandle of Oklahoma. So our youth don't get to see each other on a frequent basis which leads to them not knowing each other really well. The stake leaders have really been trying to change that. They did a fabulous job this year with camp. I went and took four of my girls (three of them were "1st years") from my ward. I also was in charge of the "2nd years" certification. Unbelievably, no one got hurt and (drumroll, please), there was no fighting. I didn't know that could ever happen at a YW camp. Usually there are a few squabbles. We hiked, repelled, played games, did all our certification, had skits, ate way too many s'mores, and we even got to take a shower this year. That is a rarity. Our Girls' Camp always does "primitive" camping--all tents, sleeping bags on the ground, cooking on the fire or dutch ovens, pot potties, etc. Oh, and we got to eat buffalo burgers--real buffalo meat. That is one perk of living out here. There are LOTS of cows and buffalo. It's a real honor to go with my YW to camp. I think all YW leaders should go to camp with their girls because we can build such stronger bonds with them. It's great. The members out here are so cool. They're so unpretentious and just real, down-to-earth people. And, they are hardy people, meaning they're self-sufficient and can do anything. Remember Sheri Dew, from the general RS presidency? She's from our stake. There are a lot of good people here.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Hi Heidi,

It's Jen Benson from Emporia (actually Grand Junction, CO now). I came across your blog through Andrea Hope. It's so good to see you and your cute family! It looks like your all doing great! Keep in touch and check in with us. Our blog address is:
jenshope.blogspot.com
Tell Robert we said hello!
Love, Jen & Larry Benson

Jess said...

Hi Heidi! This is Jess Hansen from Emporia.

Ditto Jen. :)

I can't believe how grown up your little men are! We just moved to NW Arkansas. Rick is working for Walmart home office. The kids and I are finding our way around and really like the change of scenery. Keep in touch!

hansensinthehills.blogspot.com