Monday, June 2, 2008

The Meanest Mom

Have you ever gone through those periods (sometimes lasting months) when your kids are in a phase that drives you crazy? You know the ones--talking back, being sassy, saying bad words, nonstop fighting. And you just think to yourself, "Oh, no, you didn't--you didn't just say that to me". Last night I was down to my last nerve. This morning I woke up and decided my new mission in life is to be the meanest mom. It didn't take the boys long before they realized the good life was now officially over. I don't think either of them had been awake for five minutes before they were spending time in their rooms---lots of time. Afterwards they had this look in their eyes like "we're doomed". This afternoon has been remarkable better--no fighting, no mean words. I think they realize I'm just not putting up with it anymore--none of it. I have to admit it felt good, in a weird way, to see the fear in their eyes. I think they're finally getting the picture.


As for a funny sidenote: This morning Matt noticed a small brown stain on the carpet behind his bedroom door. He looked at me and asked, "Mom, did you poop on my floor?" What!!!??? I just had to laugh.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Go you!!! Yes!! I know what you mean!! It's amazing how it changes their attitude.

Holly said...

Good for you Heidi. Tough love is a lot better than letting kids do whatever they want. Remember, they are the child, you are the parent and you have control. From a teacher's perspective, I appreciate parents that don't let their child control the home because it is very evident at school and it REALLY makes my job suck (I was going to say tough, but really it just plain sucks when you have kids that have not been taught to behave). So, keep going. I find in my classroom if I am consistent and demand good behavior life is sooo much easier. It may not seem like that at the moment when your kid is mad at you, but they forget and life is better in the long run. Okay, I am stepping off my soapbox!

Angela said...

That sounds just like what we call military school. When I am about to my last nerve, I let Masen know that from now on he will be in military school. He knows exactly what that means and he sure straightnes up fast. Olivia on the other hand has no idea and still is unaffected by it. Oh well one out of two isn't bad.