Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Cabin Fever

The boys and I have been stuck in the house for a week. We're getting on each others' nerves. The boys just pick at each other, trying to get the other mad. Adam told me he's nice at school but mean at home. He said he should go to "nice school". We were at home because of Adam's forehead. The top half of his face was really swollen from his fall. He looked like a Kling-On. I took pictures but they didn't truly capture how different he looked. Then, we were at home all weekend for General Conference. It is great to be able to watch it at home--thank goodness for satellite TV--but, the boys were tired of being in the basement (that's where the TV is) for those two days. On Monday Adam got his stitches out. He said it didn't hurt very much. Then, Monday evening he got sick---fever and vomiting--so we stayed at home again yesterday. He felt better today and went to school. So, today was the first time we've left to go do something fun. We had playgroup at Burger King. The kids all had a good time playing and picking at their food. We stayed for over 2 hours. I had planned on staying there until the boys got tired. However, Matt had an accident in his pants (which rarely happens), so we came home. If everyone is healthy tomorrow, we'll go to the library.

I'm itching to go on a trip. I haven't been anywhere since New Year's. It's tough being at least three hours from anywhere, especially with the price of gas so high. We have to drive far to go anywhere--3 hours to Wichita, 5 hours to Denver, 6 hours to Kansas City. Plus, all of my Saturdays are booked doing training for the half-marathon. We do our long distance training sessions on Saturday mornings. Only three more weeks 'til the race.

As for our garden, the lettuce has sprouted. I'm excited. I've also ordered some plants for our front yard. There is NO landscaping in the front. Our yard was seriously neglected before we moved in. The more yardwork I do, the more I realize how much needs to be done. I took down a bunch of honeysuckle in the backyard. It was so overgrown and really weighing the fence down. We're going to plant raspberries back there along the fence. For the front yard, we're going to get a tree (haven't decided what type yet), put in some butterfly bushes, liriopes, sweet williams, and cosmos. For the side yard and behind our patio, we're putting in lily-of-the-valley. I'm anxious to get it going. I might put in the flowerbeds and do the edging this weekend. However, I will be doing 13 miles Sat. morning so we'll see how much energy I have left.

Sad note---the PBS special Masterpiece Theatre of all the Jane Austen novels has now ended. The last one was on Sunday. It was a lot of fun watching them. They just draw you in. Here are a couple of movie reviews. The new "Becoming Jane" with Anne Hathaway is really good--LOVED IT. The new "The Jane Austen Book Club" is terrible--really kind of crass and crude--HATED IT.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Good for you running a marathon! I could never do it. I am excited to hear about the progress in your yard. Post pics please! As a new homeowner who also moved into and overgrown yard, I am glad I am not alone feeling overwhelmed with the amount of work that needs to be done!