I can't remember when I started liking Mexican food. As far as I know, I've always liked it. I remember when we were young kids, my mom would allow us to help plan the Christmas menu. If it was my turn to pick the main dish I would always pick tacos. Needless to say, we had some interesting Christmas dinners. And then, two days later, I'd pick them again for my birthday dinner. While in college in Arizona, I took a Mexican cooking class one semester. It was a lot of fun. And I'm still learning to cook all sorts of Latin dishes. So, it's no surprise that my recipe this week is something Mexican. It is---Red Enchilada Sauce. Everyone can make this. It tastes better than the canned stuff and it is cheaper, too. And, you can make extra and freeze it. I do it all the time. Here's what you need--
RED ENCHILADA SAUCE
3 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. flour
1/4 c. chili powder (the New Mexico chili powder is the best but hard to find)
1 can (141/2oz.) of beef or chicken broth--OR dissolve 2 bouillion cubes into 2 c. boiling water
1 can (15 oz.) of tomato sauce
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cumin
In a saucepan, eat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. It will become a thick paste. Add the chili powder and cook, stirring until you can really smell it, about 30 seconds.
Add the broth, tomato sauce, oregano and cumin. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat to low and cook , stirring often, until the sauce is smooth and thickened, about 15 minutes. Salt if needed. This makes about 2 1/2 cups. You can refrigerate it up to 5 days or freeze it up to 3 months.
Side note--I know alot of gringos make enchiladas with flour tortillas, and they are tasty. However, nothing is better than enchiladas made with corn tortillas. Simply fry the tortillas for just seconds to make them soft and pliable. Drain them on some paper towels. Fill and roll them with your favorite fixins--cheese, beans, meat, chicken, etc--. Pour enchiladas sauce on top and some cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. You will be surprised how the tortillas just melt in your mouth. Muy rico!!
3 comments:
Do you remember how Sis. Rubio would make her own tortillas? Do you know how she did it? I have a tortilla press and just buy the flour/mix (mesa mix) for it. Only she made corn ones and they were so good! That enchilada sauce sounds good! Thanks for posting!
I am SUCH a gringo- I love flour tortillas (and, as Derek LOVES to tell everyone, I pronounced the "ll"'s in quesadilla like a good gringo would until I was 16 and we moved to CA.) Luckily, Derek is working to improve my latin knowledge.
You wouldn't like corn over flour tortillas if you had them for every meal every day in Honduras.
Mike
Post a Comment