Thursday, July 24, 2008
Looking for Answers
So, I've been following the presidential race pretty closely because I don't know who to vote for. I'm torn between the two candidates. I like McCain because I lived in Arizona for 10 years and I like that he doesn't necessarily vote partylines. However, I'm tired of the war and how much moola it is costing us. McCain wants to stay in the war but Obama wants to get out. I would rather use the $$ to help our economy instead of paying for a war. So, I like that about Obama. I then wonder who can do a better job with the economy. Obama, even though he doesn't have a lot of experience? Or McCain, even though he wants to stay in the war? What do you think? What pearls of wisdom do you have?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh Heidi - you are really opening up a can of worms of controversy on this one!
I can say that I have been very disappointed with all the candidates that we have had to choose from (my number one choice was Fred Thompson). I have been a very stout Republican my whole life and never thought I would vote decomoratic.
I worry about our economy, education, money being spent on this war, etc as well.. but I also don't look as "paying" for this war as the cause of these problems. My dad is in Afghanistan right now training top Afghan officers & the work we are doing over there is very important. Obama is not saying that we are going to immediatly pull out of the Middle East and end this war, but he is saying that we need to concentrate our efforts in other parts of the Middle East (like Afghanistan), which I consider a big plus for him. It sounds like Obama is aware of what is going on over there and is thinking ahead as to what we need to do for national security.
My dad is seeing first hand the turmoil, terrorism and hardships faced by the Afghan people and it really does effect us all. The trouble has moved from Iraq to Afghanistan. My dad also met Obama during his visit to the Middle East, and saw a little bit of prejudice in him. As in, he only wanted black drivers, black soldiers, etc, etc.. Obama is also one of the most liberal senators in history. If you look at his voting record in his four years in the senate, he is extremely liberal. I am extremely conservative - so I consider that a big negative.
So, I am torn as well. Obama scares me in that we really don't know that much about him. All Americans want change but this is gonna be a hard election.
Last thing to consider, we may not like everything McCain has to say, but we do have to consider that whoever gets into office will affect who is appointed to the Supreme Court... I'm not sure I trust Obama with that????
PS... in regards to your last post about who was smarter than who.... Eddie & I just went ahead and established that I was the smarter one (and better looking one)... lol
~ lea
PS.. hope this post doesn't offend anyone - don't hate - just giving my opinion!
I think Lea did a great job expressing her views...well done! I also offer my opinion in the spirit of simple expression, nothing else. If you disagree, no worries.
I've come to the conclusion that today, very little separates Democrats and Republicans. Democrats are sponsored mostly by labor unions and left-leaning groups who want the government to direct federal policy to benefit them, while Republicans are funded by religious groups and corporate interests who want the government to do the exact same thing. The problem is that each side is looking for handouts and favors and subsidies and aid at your expense.
So, I won't be voting for either McCain or Obama because they represent two parties whose approach to government consists of taking from one group of people to give to another, and that is a philosophy I consider to be absolutely un-American.
Instead, I'm writing in the name of Ron Paul. (Read a bit of his philosophy here). He's the goofy Republican presidential candidate who voted against the invasion of Iraq, talked incessantly about the gold standard, and had a strict constitutionalist view of government.
A lot of people who read this will think I'm throwing my vote away, but I enthusiastically disagree. So much of what we're dealing with as a nation comes from the status quo, and both McCain and Obama (despite all his 'change' rhetoric), represent the status quo of both the left and the right. Voting for the status quo...now that's throwing your vote away.
I'm voting for Ron Paul, not to win an election (because my vote alone could never do that), but instead to express my opinion at the ballot box of what I want my government to be. For me, it's time to stop choosing between the lesser of two evils and it's time to start choosing the best person for the job, period.
If you're not sure about McCain or Obama, vote for your ideal candidate instead. Who do you think would do the best job as our chief executive?
Post a Comment