Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Why Do We Subject Ourselves?

Are parents gluttons for punishment? Why do we think staying in a hotel with our kids will be fun? Did we forget the last time we stayed in a hotel with the kids? Last Friday we went to Wichita. We found a great deal on a hotel so we decided to stay overnight. It will be fun, right??? It wasn't the 100 times I told them not to jump off the bed; it wasn't the 100 times I told them it was after 11pm and time to go to sleep. It was the 3:30am wake-up call from Adam asking me how long the night was going to last. I said, "Go back to bed." He then said, "I don't know if it's sweat, pee, or water, but I'm wet." Ugggh!! We discovered Matt had wet the bed. So, at 3:30am we were giving Adam a bath (he's a germaphobe--there's NO WAY he would have simply wiped the pee off), changing Matt's clothes, stripping the bed, and then all four of us climbing into one bed. The boys finally went back to sleep at 5am. I whispered to Robert, "why do we ever think it's fun to stay in a hotel with the kids?" He just laughed. The rest of our stay went well. We did the necessary trips to Chuck E. Cheese and ToysRUs. Robert's already wanting to stay overnight in Denver next month. I'm just thinking, "are you nuts?"

3 comments:

Kenningtons said...

Really, what is it about hotel stays that make for seemingly endless nights???!!!

Alexis said...

Wow. But you make it look so easy at Snowbird... now I'm getting scared for my experience (as if I wasn't scared already!)

Angela said...

Seriously, i know exactly what you mean. we just dread having to stay at a hotel, we have not had good experiences or a good nights sleep at a hotel for as long as we have been parents. Why is it we go on vacation again??!!??