I tell this story to stimulate some conversation. I must preface it with telling you that there were no harsh or angry words shared and nobody had their feelings hurt. The other day Robert and I were discussing how to go about doing a home repair. I can't remember exactly what it was. We each had our own ideas of what would be the best way to do it. I can't remember, either, how we got to this point in the conversation, but this is what was said:
R: Well, I'm just smarter than you.
H: What? (total shock on my part)
R: I'm smarter than you.
H: What? You really think you're smarter than me? (I can't believe what I'm hearing).
R: I don't know. I just think I am.
H: Really? (In my head I'm thinking, 'you're not smarter than me. I had a 4.0 in college)
H: How long have you thought that? Since we've been married?
R: (shoulder shrug)
H: Wow, all this time, 11 years, I've lived with the guilt of thinking I WAS SMARTER THAN YOU.
So, now, Rob and I think we're smarter than each other--and there is no more guilt. Are we the only ones who think we're smarter than their spouses? Come on, fess up.
11 comments:
Too funny!! I don't think I'm smarter than Mike but I do think I am more innovative. I'll have to have Mike post about what he thinks.
Kaleb already knows I'm smarter than him and has readily acknowledged it:) That's why we're still married. I'm book smarts and can kick his butt at trivia but when it comes to figuring out a problem he's much smarter than me!! So I'll say I'm book smarts and he's got the common sense and we both win!!
I say I am smarter than Larry, but he is more intelligent than me. I know there are things I don't bother asking him because he totally won't know..and then there are things that make me stand back in amazement at his vast knowledge of certain things. But to answer your question...I'm totally smarter! :) Jen
Okay, when it comes to sports ANYTHING, Ryan wins hands down! He also wins in spelling and trivia. When it comes to home repair or figuring things out, I'm smarter. I'm smarter in science too, but that's because of college. I also remember who gives us things and he forgets. But literally, you can ask him anything in college football and he'll know it. Crazy.
I am way smarter than my husband!
Wow! 4 responses and all from women. Whether you are smarter than your husband or not, your husband is a smart man for not commenting. Sorry, Robert, that was a rookie move.
I agree with Owen about Rob's rookie mistake. That being said I think Jamie and I are smarter than the other in different things. I could name an 80's song better than she can but she has to make sure I put my right shoe on the right foot.
Mike
So I talked this over with Brandon and he thinks that in some ways he is smarter than me and in some ways I am smater than him. (Ha Ha Owen an answer from both the man and the woman!!) We actually complement each other well and he has even said that I have helped him solve problems that he is smarter than me about.
I guess sometimes things are just better left unsaid! Agree to disagree!!
This is Derek. I went in making sure my spouse was smarter than me. I may have gone a little overboard on that one. I have yet to win an argument. Knowing our children have her genetic code, I am going to be the dumbest one in the family.
Derek, you are by far the smartest one in the bunch! Every man would do better to marry someone smarter than them - because then their kids will be totally intelligent! Way to go!
Post a Comment